Kathryn is an attorney and mediator concentrating in divorce, custody, parentage, adoption, child support, visitation, estate planning, real estate and bankruptcy. She has been in private practice since her graduation from De Paul University College of Law. Additionally, Kathryn holds a Master's Degree in history from Northeastern Illinois University and a Bachelor's Degree from Northwestern University where she majored in history and psychology, while also achieving a secondary teaching certificate.
A member of the Cook and Lake County Child Representative Panels, she has represented many children in contested custody proceedings. Additionally, Kathryn has the following professional affiliations: member of the Chicago Bar Association and past chairperson of its Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee; board member of the Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois; past board member of the Mediation Council of Illinois; Illinois State Bar Association; Lake County Bar Association; Lake County Arbitrators Panel; and International Association of Collaborative Practitioners.
Her legal experience includes: associate attorney, Law Offices of Peter Francis Geraci, 1981 - 1983; associate attorney, Zalutsky & Pinski, Ltd. 1983 - 1985; principal attorney, Law Offices of Kathryn M. Somers, 1985-1997; mediator from 1991 to present; Collaborative Law practitioner from 2002 through the present; and a partner in Di Giacomo & Somers, L.L.C. from 1997 to present.
Professional Licenses: State of Illinois; United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois; Trial Bar of the Northern District of Illinois; United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Kathryn has brought her expertise to the community as a commentator in local newspapers, on radio and on television news covering divorce and mediation; as a volunteer with several not-for-profit organizations; as a contributor to Divorce Magazine; and as a speaker at The Lilac Tree and other business and community organizations. She has also hosted the family law edition of the cable television program Law Talk.
Areas of Practice
- Child Support
- Estate Planning
- Real Estate
- Collaborative Law
- Illinois, 1981
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1981
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1983
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 1980
- Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago, Illinois, Chicago, Illinois
- M.A. - 1978
- Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, Evanston, Illinois
- B.A. - 1975
- Speaker, The Lilac Tree
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Cook and Lake County Child Representative Panels, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- CBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, Past Chairperson
- Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois, Past Board Member
- Mediation Council of Illinois, Past Board Member
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Lake County Bar Association
- Lake County Arbitrators Panel
- International Association of Collaborative Practitioners
Past Employment Positions
- Law Offices of Peter Francis Geraci, Associate Attorney, 1981 to 1983
- Zalutsky & Pinski, Ltd., Associate Attorney, 1983 to 1985
- Law Offices of Kathryn M. Somers , 1985 to 1997