“Divorce and separation are some of the most stressful and difficult times in a person's life, involving many life changing decisions. My approach is to educate and to work in partnership with my clients to help them achieve their goals and to reach equitable settlements.”
Carol Di Giacomo believes that the client should be fully engaged in the decision-making process in all family law matters. She strives to educate and inform clients of their rights while taking a thoughtful and measured approach to resolve problems and to preserve assets. Carol’s philosophy is to diligently protect her client’s rights in a respectful and sensitive manner, so as to minimize damage to the family both during the process and in the future. She is known for listening to her clients so that she fully understands their needs and interests while she takes a thoughtful approach to achieve their goals. Carol has litigated numerous cases over the years, is a trained mediator as well as a collaborative attorney. Carol works with certified divorce financial planners and divorce coaches to help her clients move through the difficult process of disengaging from their marriage and to prepare for the next stage of their lives.
Carol has been actively involved in private practice in the Chicagoland area for over 30 years. She has been a speaker on numerous radio and television programs. Carol also was a part-time teaching staff member at Oakton Community College and at the College of Du Page where she presented numerous workshops on divorce, remarried and blended family issues and estate planning. Carol’s practice also encompasses estate planning, bankruptcy and real estate law.
Carol is a graduate of Kent College of Law and has an undergraduate degree from University of Illinois, Urbana Campus. She is also fluent in Spanish, having attended the University of Barcelona in Spain. She is a Fellow in the Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois as well as a North Shore Practice Group Leader. In addition to being an Officer of the Cripple Creek Gold Mining Corporation from 1991 through the present, she is also a member of the American Bar Association, the Illinois State Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, the Northwest Suburban Bar Association, International Association of Collaborative Professionals and the Collaborative Practice Professionals of Illinois.
Ms. Di Giacomo is a debt relief agent. She helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.
Areas of Practice
- Collaborative Practice
- Child Support
- Contract and Real Estate
- Estate Planning
- Illinois, 1982
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Illinois
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 1982
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Illinois, Champaign Urbana, IL., Champaign Urbana, Illinois
- University of Barcelona - Spain
- Major: Spanish
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Northwest Suburban Bar Association
- Northwest Suburban Estate Planning Council
- International Assoc. Of Collaborative Professionals
- Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois (Fellow)
- Collaborative Practice Professionals of Illinois
- Chair of North Shore Collaborative Practice Group
- Court-Certified Mediator in the Domestic Relations Division in Cook County Illinois.
Past Employment Positions
- Jack Clifford & Associates, Associate, 1982 to 1983
- Zalutsky, Pinski & Di Giacomo, Ltd., Partner, 1984 to 1992
- The Law Office of Carol A. Di Giacomo, 1992 to 1997
- General Counsel for J.B. Crane Services, LTD., 1991-2002